Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cheeks, Wilkersons, Elliss, and Gilberts, Indian and Jamestown Connections...

Opechancanough
Opechancanough was the brother of Chief of the Powhatan Tribe Wahunsonacock. His wife was the beautiful woman that the Jamestown colonists called Cleopatra the Shawano. Opechancanough had many children, one of his daughters, we don't know her native name, was given the English name "Rachel".. Rachel was first cousin of Rebecca or "Pochahantas" she is reported to have accompanied Pochahantas to England where she had a relationship with her host Lord Delawar Thomas West 1st governor of Virginia From this relationship was born Totopatamoi "Toby". Also on her fateful trip Rachel met and then married Joseph Crowshaw.. Now the family relationships of the Royal Powhaton tribes get complicated as Rachel's mother Cleopatra was the sister of her cousin Pochahantas.. So her mother was also her cousin..
 Cleopatra

Rachel daughter of Cleopatra and Opechancanough was the first wife of our ancestor  Maj. Joseph Crowshaw 1610 -1667..  Here is the line through the Cheeks and Webbs.


Rachel Pamunkey Indian
is your 9th great grandmother
daughter of Rachel Pamunkey Indian
daughter of Ursala Unity Croshaw
son of Ursula Unity Susanna West
daughter of MARTIN Martin
son of Elizabeth Anne Martin
son of William Webb
son of John Webb
daughter of John "Jack" Webb
daughter of Florence Mildred Webb
son of Alma Mae Wilkerson



 

   Emperor Wahunsonacock Big Chief Powhatan (1545 - 1618
is your 10th great grandfather
daughter of Emperor Wahunsonacock Big Chief Powhatan
son of CLEOPATRA the Shawano Powhatan
son of Hokolesqua Opecham Stream Cornstalk
son of Hard Striker Paxinosa Sunfish
son of Ionoco Shawnee Chief
son of Keigh Tugh Quah Cornstalk
son of Absalom Ailstock
daughter of Andrew Ailstock
daughter of Annie Elizabeth Ailstock
daughter of Ellen F Grigsby
daughter of Bessie Jane Ellis
Are you keeping track cousins, thats three out of four of the family lines are Indian.. How about the fourth, the Wilkersons... Well can't leave them out here is a line back to Hannah Crewes and her rebellious father James who was hanged for his part in Bacons rebellion.. Thats four out of four grandparents with indian and Jamestown ties...

 Moriah "Bland" mother of Hannah Crewes

Moriah Bland Native American (1615 - 1676)
is your 8th great grandmother
daughter of Moriah Bland Native American
son of HANNAH CREWES
son of Giles Carter
daughter of Povall Carter
son of Mary Molly Carter
son of Townsend Wilkerson
son of Robert Wesley Wilkerson
daughter of Calvin Walter Wilkerson
son of Alma Mae Wilkerson
There are more native connections, Grandpa Gilbert has a Cheraw ancestor, her name was Jane Etheredge.. The Cherokee side of the Cheeks that was told to us has been the hardest thing to find but I'm sure its out there probably through Anna Olivia Roberts. There are many Roberts Indians just have to find ours...

24 comments:

  1. First I would like to thank you. Thanks to you I have Hannah's mothers name. I would like to know Moriah Bland's mother and father's name. You mentioned Roberts in your post. My great great grandmother was Nancy Roberts. Daughter of Cornelius Roberts and Nancy Stanley. Cornelius was the son of James Daniel Roberts b 1772. James was the son of Cornelius Roberts b 1746. I read he was killed and scalped on Black Mountain. He was with four other men who’s names I don't know. Cornelius was the son of James Archibald Roberts b 1724. I am stuck there and would appreciate any help you could give. I hate to bother but you seem to know more about my family than me. Regardless of your answer I still thank you. Take care and be good Jerl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again I see you have Ionoco Shawnee Chief born 1672 as Hard Striker's son and he was born 1680.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again I see you have Ionoco Shawnee Chief born 1672 as Hard Striker's son and he was born 1680.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments Jeri.. I'll take your word for Ionoco's birthdate... My Roberts dead end is Anna Olivia Roberts Cheek born 1824 in Rutherford county NC.. I don't know who her parents were.Where is Black Mountain? I have many ancestors who were killed by Indians also. Will have to look into your Roberts family..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Mountain is a town in Buncombe County, North Carolina, United States. Sorry to take so long I have been very busy. Thank you for answering so quickly Jerl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my friend I just finshed my Carpenter line. My source was Shawnee Heritage 3 & 4. here is how I have it. Cleopatra Born 1602 Married to Opechan Stream b 1556 Married 1618. She was his seventh wife Their son Hokoleskwa Stream Four Cornstalk Chief. Married Pashmere Carpenter b 1637 Married 1662 She was the daughter of Thomas and Pride. Hard Striker son of Hokoleskwa and Pashmere. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never mind my friend look up Ailstock in google e-books. There is a good section in Shawnee Heritage V and sad story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I'm Dennis C. Stewart a cousin through the Carters and Moriah Bland. I'm a genealogist and belong to the Jamestowne Society. I have evidence that Moriah was a daughter of Edward
    Bland through his Indian servant woman, or through Edward's son. Edward Bland lived near
    Capt. James Crewes. My question/ What is the source that a person named 'Moriah Bland' ever
    really existed ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dennis
      I have no direct evidence for Moriah Bland.. Would love to see what you have for her...

      John

      Delete
  9. I got that info from this page if you look I thanked him for that. I want to thank you for your info and I will add that if you don't mind. My highest percentage in my Mtdna is Native American so I have been trying to find all connections. Thank you Jerl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Dennis I was busy when I answered you. What I said is true but I have been working with Shawnee Heritage and In volume 3 he also names Hannah's mother as Moriah that was my second source. I first saw it in the Mormon church collection at familysearch.com. At first I was skeptical but I believe it is right now that I have tree sources. I would like to have any help you cab give. I would appreciate it very much. Take care Jerl

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the first and there are many on this site but Cheeks was second and Shawnee was third I look forward to hearing from you and sorry about the mistake on the site is is Org not com. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:374S-4LY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jeri & John,
    Once I get this put together I will send what I have on Moriah's
    likely father. Edward & brother John Bland had land adjoining
    James Crewes. I have evidence that Moriah was illegitimate daughter
    of John Bland and an Indian woman who seems to be Chickahominy based
    on the area they lived in. Susan Mahlburg is wrong on Moriah's est.
    birth year. Moriah was born closer to 1630-1635, not c1615. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS/
    Hannah Crewes was born c1652. This is based on a deposition in
    England where her father James Crewes said he was born 1623 and
    was in Charles City County VA before 1651. They were in an area
    where the Chickahominy Indians were based. Susan needs to revise
    her site. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeri,
    How do I gain access to the book you mentioned "Shawnee Heritage" vol. 3 ? which mentions Moriah Bland, or at least the page and page giving its source. I'm a genealogist which means I need the source of Moriah's existence. If its only family tradition that's okay---just need a source to make me feel that someone did not just
    make her up by imagination. I'm sure you understand. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jeri,
    What is the primary source that Moriah Bland ever
    really existed ? No one will answer me

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John Cheek,
    What is the primary source that Moriah Bland
    ever really existed ? No one will answer me
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dennis Stewart I told you she was on familysearch,org and in Shawnee Heritage 111. I thought I sent you the ebook link. https://books.google.com/books?id=E9EeCAAAQBAJ&pg=PP4&lpg=PP4&dq=shawnee+heritage+iii&source=bl&ots=Bl3vCEyqdD&sig=4WdcdAoNULL6i9bBmbGEuhKwTkY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSyri-8vDNAhWC8YMKHd6hCQoQ6AEIYjAR#v=snippet&q=moriah&f=false

    ReplyDelete

  18. Dennis I bought all my copies of Shawnee Heritage from amazon. There are ten volumes and I plan to buy all of them. Hope this helps you and can't wait to see your findings. I live in Maurertown VA if your in the area please stop by. Let me know I will give you my address. Jerl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jeri,
    I would like to visit you. I live in Etowah, Tn. My e-mail is stewartdennis19@yahoo.com
    Question/ Can you put me in contact with the person who painted the Moriah Bland picture?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Jeri and Dennis.

    That picture of Moriah is interesting. Im pretty sure it is representational and not intended as an actual portrait. But it would be interesting to know the source of that picture. Did it come from a book or the internet. Would like to find the artist if possible

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi my name is Clifford B Pence my facebook is Clifford Benjamin Hawkbill Pence I am wanting to know is this the family tree of Martin Martin and Sarah Hix their child Elizabeth Ann Martin and Meriwether Ween Webb their child Mary Ann Webb married Charles Burns please email me @ hawkbillpence@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete